Monday, June 22, 2015

Nauvoo Trip June 2015

We hadn't been very adventurous since moving to Indy and with the looming possibility of us moving again we wanted to try and do at least one excursion before we left.  So we decided that living only 6 hours away from Nauvoo warranted a trip that way.  I came here as a kid once or twice and loved it.  I've always wanted to take my family back and it seemed like this was the perfect opportunity. We decided to make a 2 day trip out of it so we had enough time to see as much as possible.  Originally we were planning our trip with BJ and the kids but at the last minute one of them got sick so they opted to stay home, which was probably for the better since it got really hot while we were there.  We decided to skip the crowds and not go during the pageant.  It would have been nice to see it but knowing my little kids, it would have been a disaster.  It was perfect, no lines, no chaos, we could go wherever and whenever we wanted.  We left Sunday after church and got there in the evening and had dinner, goofed around our hotel and made a plan for the next day. We woke up early Monday morning to beat the heat and headed out.  Our first stop was the temple.  I remember coming here as a kid and only seeing the cornerstones in the ground.  What a transformation it was.  Love this place.  


 Then we headed to the visitor's center to get a map and visit the gardens.  Another memory of coming here when I was younger was recreating some of the statues with my nutty sisters.  So of course my kids wanted to do the same.


 This is the one I remember the most as a child.  One of us stood behind the "mom" and made her hair fly.  It was pretty hilarious.

 My weird family.
 I think this is sweet.

 not quite the same effect, but funny nonetheless.  It gets better I promise.
 Haha cracking up.
 Love Randy's face.
 Cute little girl.

 Love it.
 Then we proceeded to walk all around historic Nauvoo.  I didn't take a lot of pictures at each of the homes cuz we were wrangling little kids but I really feel like they learned something special.


 We did get to see a cute puppet show and play.

 
By the end of the day, we were all pretty worn out and grouchy from the heat.  So we went back to the hotel for dinner and to cool down.  We were going to try and go back for the evening festivities, but the kids were "done" and there was a thunderstorm heading our way so we opted for the hotel pool instead.  The next morning we went back to Nauvoo for a couple more things like the Oxen ride.

 Then on our way home stopped at Carthage to get a tour of the jail where Joseph and Hyrum Smith were murdered.  
 It was a neat experience for everyone and I'm so grateful that we took the time to go.


No comments: