Friday, June 12, 2009

Summer Reading 2009

We signed up for our local libraries summer reading program. This year they chose the theme of "Go Green." And I think they want to go as far as they can with that motto, they really are having fun with it (IE: recycling, gardening, dressing in green). At the kick off party they had this guy with puppets talk to the kids and teach them a song. Then, the guy in the background with the hat on, is a magic/illusionist who did some fun stuff with the kids. He even made a palm tree out of biodegradable balloons, (you can kinda see it to the left right behind the puppeteer). It was impressive. Anyway, we got there early enough so the kids could sit up front, right in front of the guys (Micah has a red and gray shirt, Mac has purple and her hair is in her face, and you can see Morgie's head with the pink hat on) and be in on the action. At one point the illusionist was juggling small plungers and stuck them to his face. When he "couldn't" get them off he had Micah come up and "help" him pull it off. It was really cute, Micah was holding on so tight to the plunger that the guy picked him right up. Everyone had a good laugh. There was another guy there from our local paper that was taking pictures of the event. He even came up to me afterwards and got my kids' names so he could correctly identify them and told I could probably find them online, he wasn't sure which shot would go in the paper. Well it took me almost a week to find them and all that were posted were some other little girl looking excited and this one below. I was a little disappointed cuz I saw him taking pictures and I knew he got some good ones of my kids. Not that I need my kids to be in the paper, but he said you'll be able to find a lot of these shots online, I'm sorry but 2 pictures is not a lot of pictures. Oh well, at least there was something. It was fun regardless.

3 comments:

velvetelement said...

Fun. We do the summer reading program too but our theme is Be Creative and I am not sure what that really means, I guess we will find out as the summer goes on!

Amanda Davis said...

We love the reading program at our library too. They have tons of cool stuff all summer, lots of prizes, it really keeps my kids and me on track! Our theme is be creative also. They are going to have a craft day every week to go along with it. My kids love crafts! Tomorrow is a juggler. My kids look forward to it every year!

Amanda Davis said...

Oh thanks for your input on my baby names. We try not to do something to common since our last name is supper common!!! I think Porter may be more common in Utah cause it is kind of a Mormon name... I don't know any kids here named Porter! But I really like Grant, Calvin, Steel and Sawyer too. The girls I am having a really hard time with. I don't really love love any of the names we have come up with but Larry loves Esther. Which isn't my favorite... We will see. Thanks!