Monday, November 2, 2009

Our Thankful Turkey

I was given the assignment of giving a lesson in Relief Society yesterday on Gratitude. At first I was having a hard time researching the topic for whatever reason, until I found this devotional given by Elder Joseph B Wirthlin back in 2000 about living Thanksgiving daily. It was an amazing talk and it really opened my eyes on how my attitude really needs to change. I need to be grateful for everything I have and everything I can do. The happiest people out there are the one's not with the most money or the nicest things, but are the most grateful. I enjoy being happy, as I'm sure most people do, so this month we are making our Thankful Turkey again and we are actually starting at the beginning of the month, so this year our poor little turkey is going to have feathers to the living room (ok not that big but close). I hope that my children will understand the meaning of this, and that they can learn to be happy and grateful for all they have. I also use a poem entitled
I'll be Happy when
by Marie Lundeen
A small child sat in the fullness of spring, surrounded by the beauty of each living thing.
All the wonders of nature never caught her eye, and she said to herself with a discontented sigh.
“When I get to be five, I’ll be happy then.” So continued her thoughts of I’ll be happy when.
The little child grew to a girl in her teens; still feeling that life is never quite what it seems.
I wish I were sixteen and had my own car; I’d be happier then, much happier by far.
That teenager grew to a young woman then wife, standing with her young man on the threshold of life.
Still she was not happy, and she thought perhaps, if I had a child to cuddle on my lap.
Children did come and the young mother often said, “I’ll be happy when these little ones have all gone to bed.
I’d be happy if I just had more time to myself, if I didn’t have to keep my nic-nac’s so high on the shelf,
if I didn’t have so many children to care for, I could buy a lovely new sofa, and rug for the floor.”
Well time passed by and the young woman’s hair turned to grey, and she found herself all alone one day.
With all the time in the world and her home most exquisite, she wished her children would come home for a visit.
I’d be happy if only they would visit me more, it’s so seldom I see a grandchild at my door.
She had lived with her motto “I’ll be happy when” never pausing, content, with the blessings of then.
And so she drifted through each season of life, neglecting the beauty while noting the strife.
Till at length she arrived at winter’s last days, feeling life was so unfair in so many ways.
Finally humbled and trembling on bended knee, she prayed to the Lord to answer her plea.
Dear Father, if thou art above, why ‘hast thou withheld thy love?
Am I not one of thine own? Yet, I am old, unhappy, and all alone.
All I ever wanted was happiness, instead, I find disappointment, and distress.
The answer came as a seedling of thought, to her mind. Perhaps, happiness isn’t something you find.
It’s not where you live, but how, and the time to be happy is not someday, but now!
It’s not something you buy, or win, true happiness comes from peace within!
“That peace my child is the key that comes only from serving me.”
Then she begged for forgiveness, as the tired heart swelled, the blessings had gone unnoticed, but never withheld.
So in the winter of life, instead of the spring, an old woman sat surrounded, by the beauty of each thing.
And not a wonder of nature escaped her eye, as she said to herself with a contented sigh,
“So this old body will soon be laid to rest, I, of all people, am truly most blessed.”
Now old and feeble with shoulders bent, she was finally happy and truly content!


May this Thanksgiving season be one of great happiness. Be happy just to wake up in the morning, to give my kids hugs see the beauty of the earth. I am grateful for this country that I live in, where I am free to believe the things I want. I love my family, and am truly blessed to have them.

1 comment:

Bonnie-Jean said...

What a great idea... can I steal it for Achievement Days?