Thursday, July 11, 2013

Stadium of Fire 2013

Somehow I score 2 tickets to the Stadium of Fire this year and when Randy went to redeem the tickets they asked him if he wanted to buy the loner seat next to  us for $16 which we couldn't pass up so we got 3 tickets.  After much deliberation, and a little bribing, we decided that I would take the 2 older girls.  This year they had Cirque Du Soleil, Carly Rae Jepsen performing and Kelly Clarkson headlining this year. I've never really wanted to go in years past because they've always had country singers performing, and we all know how I feel about that, so this was a perfect year to get tickets (especially since 2 of them were free).  The girls were really excited, I really think McKenzie thought she was going to meet Carly and Kelly.  It was a hard reality to face.  
We were in the nosebleeds so we watched most of it on the jumbo tron.  But we were right next to the stage so we had a good shot of everything.  There was a competition a few months ago to decide who was going to open for the concert.  It came down to a girl in our ward who has an amazing voice and this group called "The Strike"  who ended up winning.  We were sad for this girl, but this group was really good as well.  The ironic thing is that the trumpet player in this shot is one of Randy's student employees.  So we knew someone from both groups, so it wasn't a total loss.
There was some parachute jumpers that came in with smoke on their feet and one flying the American Flag.  It was pretty cool.
Then there was the Stadium of Fire Dancers (which is a culmination of a lot of different dance studios in the state)  They had some fun dances. . . 
especially this one where they danced in this over sized slinky.  It was pretty hilarious.
Then it was time for Cirque Du Soleil.  Always amazing. I could watch them for hours.  I just can't believe the stuff they can do

Then Carly Rae Jepsen came on.  I'm still not sure who the girls were more excited to see.  Her or Kelly.  I've never really gone to concerts and you could tell my girls hadn't either.  There were girls screaming, singing and dancing everywhere and then there was Mak and Morg.  Just sitting quietly.  They'd sing every once in a while but there was some pretty hysterical girls near us.

Then Kelly came on.  She is just and amazing flawless singer.  Oh and btw she is getting married.  Lucky fella.

Then the fireworks shot off at the end of Kelly's performance right behind the stage and we were sitting right there.  It was loud and hot and crazy.  I had heard that they set them off there, but I was thinking it was more like on top of the stadium, but no they had them set up right on the end zone bleachers.  The bigger ones were set off in the track just south of the stadium, hence the name Stadium of Fire.  We left before the end, I hate traffic and Morgan was getting sick, probably from the smoke of the fireworks and maybe a little dehydrated.  
All in all, it was a fun experience.  I don't really need to ever do it again, but if I score free/cheap tickets, I'd go again.  Maybe I'd make everyone bike next time :)

No comments: