Saturday, October 18, 2008

My smart kids


When school started, we asked the kids what kind of things they were worried about. Morgan really didn't know what to expect so she really didn't have anything but McKenzie was on this math kick. She was really worried about harder math and not understanding it and doing really horribly. I just kept having to reassure her that there was nothing to worry about and that she was already really good at math. (in my biased opinion I think she has a good grasp of the concepts and does really well). Anyway, so on with my story. She came to me the other evening and brought up again math and being worried about it. I asked her why and she said because they are going to start learning multiplication and she didn't think she could do it. Now I am not a good teacher, I probably will not teach my kids to drive, I will force them to learn the piano (like my mother did to me, and am grateful for it), but I never felt like I would be able to teach my kids important concepts, I just get to flustered that they aren't understanding me and it doesn't do either of us any good then cuz we both get frustrated. Anyway, so I told her that multiplication is really easy and nice to know and I use it every day. Like for instance when we play Ticket to Ride I can use my times tables and figure out what my score is, instead of adding up each and every train piece. Than I started making kinda these graph looking things and showed her what I meant. And oh my goodness she got it. I couldn't believe it, me the impatient mother that I am connected with my daughter enough to teach her multiplication. Not saying she can multiply 43x13 but I think she understands or is at least starting to understand the basis of it. I am soo proud of her for wanting to learn it. I am even prouder of me for figuring out how to explain it for her to grasp it and not giving up. I think I can handle this parent thing maybe.

(I know I've used this pic before but it's so cute of the two)


Morgan also amazed us recently. Her teacher started sending home the little beginning reading books that she has. They are seriously like 10 pages long and are very repetitious with sounds, I love them. Anyway, Morgan being as young as she is, I was a little worried about her grasping new concepts quickly, but she never ceases to amaze us. She has brought home a new book every day (except the day they had a sub) and she is just devouring these books. Because of UEA she was able to bring 2 home and finished them both in one day. When she gets home she wants to read them right away and is excited to try a new one. She gets frustrated every once in a while and granted she needs help, but for the most part is doing it by herself. She is doing so good in Kindergarten. At her parent teacher conference we just had we asked if we should be worried and the teacher said, "you know I usually can pick out the youngest in the class (sometime just by sheer size) but Morgan is not the smallest and she's right up there with the other kids in her attentions span and following directions. I wouldn't have known if I didn't know her birhtday." She is doing awesome, good job Morgie

3 comments:

Julie said...

Way to go Morgan! We luv u!!!

Julie said...

Also- Way to go McKenzie! We love you too!! Keep up the good work mom :)

ellen said...

umm..we all knew that your kids were smart...where have you been? :) good job girls!