Thursday, October 16, 2008

We made it!

(Humor me and sing the summertime primary song with me)
Oh, what do you do when school's out and the kids are driving you crazy?
All they want is TV
And you want to sleep
I know that's what you do, don't lie (really high note)
Is that what you do . . . so do I.


Thanx for singing with me now let me explain. For those of you Utahans (or former) will know what UEA is. For those of you who don't, it's other name is fall break. The kids get 2 days off in the middle of October and then our school tacks on another day for a teachers work day the following Monday which gives the kids 5 days off from school. Oh the kids are in heaven and wish that it would never end. Mother's, on the other hand, go a little crazy. We just got through summer and gotten use to the weekends off things and now they throw this in there, AHHHHHHH. (btw I'm totally kidding . . . kinda). I think it's great, it gives the kids a break and any state school also gets to take advantage of it too, (like colleges, sorry BYU, you don't count cuz your private), which means Randy has these next two days off too. But if Randy was not able to take advantage of this wonderful break with us, I would absolutely be going nuts right now, and it's only the 1st day. We made plans and hoped that the weather would cooperate for us. Yesterday we took Kenz out of school early cuz we had an appt to get our pictures taken as a family outdoors up Provo canyon. It was beautiful and I think we will have at least 2 pictures turn out, which is all I need. Malia wasn't really into the whole smiling thing so I just wanted any that will show her not crying. I have an appt tomorrow to see the finished product. I'll let ya know for sure.


So today we decided that since it wasn't hot anymore and it was a beautiful 60 something degrees outside that we would attempt for the 1st time to hike the "Y." Friends of ours took their young family (the youngest being 3) up the trail and said they made it, and we wanted to take on the challenge as well. So we got up this morning, got things together and left, taking aunt Kristi along with us.


Here are the girls before the big climb.
And Malia sporting her hiking gear. It was a long treacherous hike for her.
And the final before picture at the trailhead, before all the whining began. We didn't know how steep the actual hike was going to be. So there was a lot of "are we there yet" and "how much longer" which came my response of "10 more minutes," (which I learned from my best friend's father back in Prineville, when I was a kid. Whenever we would ask him how much longer till we got wherever it was that we were going, no matter how long it really was, that was his response). But we finally made it an hour later, lots of water breaks and only a couple of freakout sessions.
We hung out for about 1/2 hour to eat lunch and take pictures.
Micah is playing "Kilroy was here" between us. What a cutie.



Apparently all that hiking took a lot out of our little bambino who passed out on the way back down.


Morgan being Morgie.




The warriors coming home from battle. McKenzie and Kristi are making spiderman hands in hopes to encourage Micah to join the photo op. (it didn't work). Morgie and Randy are showing those muscles they just ripped hiking the snot out of that trail. (or something like that)
And then there is Micah, doing what he does best, pouting at us for making him go all the way up and down the stinkin hill. Not easy for a 3 year old but he did it, and we are soo proud of him, actually all of us. It was a lot of fun, a lot of work, but well worth it.

5 comments:

Sami said...

Way to go! Those are great memories! We went hiking today also. We went up to Stewart Falls. It was a beautiful! & not as steep as going up to the Y! Once again, Faith was our trailblazer. This little girl amazes me!

Linda said...

Yeah for the Tucker climbers! I'm really impressed especially for Micah and Morgan! Way to go McKenzie, Kristi, Katie, Randy & Malia. I would have gone if I could have been Malia!!! Congratulations!

Love, Mom

Amanda Davis said...

Thanks for quoting my dad! :) We use his line every time the kids ask that question too! We have tried hiking with 4 little ones too and it is quite the adventure. Maybe next year it will feel easier... We will see. But great job!

Julie said...

Sounds like a lot of fun- not! Good job guys! Love the snow at the top of the trail!

Kendra said...

We claim this hill in the name of Tucker! hehe. Great to see all you guys climbin' the Y; been there a few times myself! :) Good times! Was it worth the view?