Friday, September 4, 2009

My son, the genious

I went to school, like I do every day, to pick up the girls after they were done, and remembered that I needed to talk to Micah's teacher to get information about being her room parent (which I was kinda suckered into). Anyway, she said that she'd get me that info but first had to tell me something about Micah, I'm thinking oh great, what did he do? She goes on to tell me about her little test she had with him today (which she does with all of the kids periodically, just to see what areas they need help in). Today's area was numbers and math. She had a pile of little rubber bears that she has the kids count to see how high they can count items. Then she'll ask them to get her a certain number of bears from the pile, and so forth. So Micah counted 21 bears (which is pretty good). A lot of kids can count, some can count high, but not many can actually count items without skipping a few of the items. She also had him estimate how many bears she put on the table which also was fairly close, and she wasn't putting 3 or 4 out it was more like 13 and 18 and he'd be off by like 5 or less. But the most impressive part was that after he counted to 21 bears, she asked him, "now Micah, can you put 18 bears in my hand?" So he looks down, picks up a pile and drops it in her hands and says that's 18. She looks at him and says "How do you know there's 18 in my hand?" His reply, "Because there are three left on the table," She looks down at the remaining bears on the table and there are 3 left. He totally blew her away and when she told me this, I was in complete shock. I don't know where he got this, but I think he's got a gift with numbers. I want to keep him going, but am afraid that pushing him will screw things up. I mean this is a natural ability and if I start pushing mathematics on him, it might take that natural ability away. Regardless of what the future brings, I think his will entail numbers, that's my boy (you'd be proud Lindz).

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Definitely my nephew!