Thursday, April 29, 2010

Knock on Wood

There have been times when I think, "why me, why is everyone always sick, when am I going to get a break?"  I think I had that break.  I really haven't posted any major sicknesses, except mine, in a long time, so I guess that means for the most part we've been well. (emphasize most part).  Not to say we haven't gotten sick, we've had our fair share of snot/yakking/fevers, but we haven't had a major catastrophe where it seems endless (insert the wood knocking now please).  This week, though, we had a small bought of sickies.  Micah came down with what I thought was allergies last week, but when they didn't go away with meds and the rain washing the pollen out of the air, I had to start thinking cold.  Right after I realized "cold" Malia came down with it too.  So I ended up staying home with them on Sunday from church cuz they really looked like a train wreck and I thought other parents would appreciate not contracting this cold in their children.  Then Mon. morning McKenzie wakes with a fever and sore throat, and I think, oh here we go.  She stayed home Mon. and Tues. and is fine now, but Micah and Malia still were snotting all over the place.  Yesterday Malia woke up from her nap with another fever, oh goody.  So I called the nurse and she said she needed for them to come in.  Longer story short. . . Malia has another raging ear infection (one side ready to burst, and the other really bad) and Micah is either getting one or on the mend from one.  We think it's the mending one since he complained for the last 2 days his ear hurt and now he's not.  I know what you are thinking, "why didn't you take them in when he complained?"  Well because every time I take a kid in that is complaining about their ear hurting, it's never an ear infection, it's always pressure from the cold.  So think what you will, I'm a bad mom. . . blah blah blah.  We do have a script for Micah just in case he complains about it in the next couple of days, but Malia is on her Omnicef once again this year.  She just had one in Jan. and I know there was another one not that long before that.  It seems every time she gets a cold, it's automatically an ear infection too.  I'm crossing my fingers that we are done for a while, NO MORE SICKIES PLEASE!

2 comments:

Amanda Davis said...

My kids were ear infection kids to until I had tubes put in their ears. It helped sooo sooo much! They are not fun though! Good luck!

Elaine Shandra said...

I've always had problems with fluid or "colds" in my ears and hated going to the doctor since they never actually helped. My eardrum has burst three times. Then, finally, I saw a resident and he told me that all of the membranes in the ears, nose, throat, and lungs are the same, so to take Musinex (sp?). I thought he was crazy, but I tried it anyway and it worked! It's also continued to work well and no more doctor visits to tell me that I have fluid in my ears and that they can't do anything for me!