Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Look what I can do!

Yes, I did. You heard it here. KT can make bread. . . and eat it without vomitting. I don't know what my problem was. I was given numerous bread recipes over the years, but I tell ya, no matter what I did, I could not make them turn out nice, or they'd turn out really pretty and taste horrible. I was telling my "bread-issues" to a girl in my ward and she gave me her Whole Wheat Bread recipe. I was nervous about the whole wheat, cuz I've used it before and failed. So I tried using just regular unbleached white flour, just to practice with it, and holy cow, it worked. Some of you may think, "wow KT . . .bread," but I don't care cuz this is a huge milestone for me.
I think I might just be ready to start using my wheat grinder and making wheat bread (or maybe I'll make a few loaves of white first just to make sure it wasn't a fluke).

Whole Wheat Bread
Makes 2 loaves
1 3/4 cup water
1TB Yeast
1tsp. Sugar and
2 ½ C. Whole Wheat Flour
Mix till smooth, then add:
1/3 C. Whole Wheat Flour
3 TB + 1½ tsp. Oil
3 TB + 1½ tsp. Honey
Mix then add :
2 tsp. Salt
Mix till smooth.
Add 2 more cups of whole wheat flour slowly while mixing. Add additional flour as needed until dough becomes smooth and elastic. Sit 10 min in greased bowl. Take dough out and fold it into a round rectangle and cut in half and put each roll into a greased bread pan. Cover and let sit 45-60 min or until doubled in size. Bake 25 min at 350 degrees F.

3 comments:

Amanda Davis said...

I love love love to make bread and I can tell you it is a practiced thing. I wouldn't jump right to whole wheat either, I think it is good to start just by adding some wheat to the white flour, just a little bit each time you make it, then do 1/2 wheat and 1/2 white, then work up to whole wheat. Here is my trick when adding wheat too, mine always feel when I was putting it in the oven, (after the second raising,) so a good friend of mine told me to not raise it the second time, and not to preheat the oven. Get it in the pan (after the 1st raising in the bowl) then stick it in the oven and turn it on. It will raise in there and bake, you have to adjust your baking time but it turns out PERFECT! Makes me want to make bread, but I don't have time today! Good luck!

Amanda Davis said...

p.s. I forgot to tell you I hadn't checked your blog for a week or 2 and then holy cow!!! Lots O posts! I loved all the old pictures!!!

velvetelement said...

Thanks for the recipe, I am not the greatest at making bread either so I will have to give this one a try!