Friday, May 2, 2008

The Sickies Part II

In my attempt to try and widen my children's food repertoire from things other than chicken nuggets, spaghetti, and steak, I have made a few different foods for my family to try. Earlier this year we did beef and lentil soup, which Randy and I loved, and the kids tolerated. Recently I tried Salmon (again, we've had it about a year ago but the kids don't remember it so it was new to them again). I cooked what I thought was really good, good flavor, & texture, Randy agreed and the kids of course tolerated. I bribed them with ice cream afterwards (which I usually do when we try something new just so they have something to look forward to while they are forcing the new dinner down). They did good, Morgan probably whined the most but gave in and finished. We had a good evening and got ready for bed later and everyone went right to sleep. Well later than night Will brought his girlie over to watch Kiterunner (very sad movie), and in the middle of it I hear a weird noise and so I run upstairs and there's Morgie with barf all over her. I go in her room and it all over her bed, (luckily the only place) and so I quickly strip the sheets, change her clothes and put her into the toddler bed we had left up while we were trying to get Malia used to her crib all night. I gave her the infamous ice cream throw-up bucket and told her to puke in there. Went downstairs to start the laundry and finish the movie, when not more than 10 minutes passed and I hear her again. I run and she missed the bucket and hit herself and the blankets, luckily not the sheets. So we changed again, got new blankets (more laundry), went to finish the movie, well anyway, this went on through the end of the movie, all of which never made it into the bucket, don't ask me why. So we had a ton of laundry, and Morgan in the midst of this whole ordeal says "Mommy, I don't want to eat fish anymore." I laughed pretty hard, even though I had touched vomit more times than I'd like to count. Luckily that only happened 4 times and she was fine the next day, even though I kept her home from school just to be safe. No one else got it (knock on wood) so I think she has a weak stomach for new things (she also puked up the lentil soup I made earlier with no other sickness symptoms). This pic is of her being a penguin, apparently one of her favorite animals along with a dog, horse, cat, pig, monkey you name it.

Malia had a flaming high fever this week and last night I was starting to get worried, cuz she was acting pretty lethargic and the ear thermometer we have was registering at 104- 105. So I called our after hours clinic and they told me to come in right away. By the time we got there, the Motrin finally kicked in and her temp went down to 102 and the Dr. checked her ear and said "We've found the culprit." Poor thing, her right ear looked horrible and her left ear was at the beginning of one. The weird thing is she didn't have a cold before or any other symptoms (other than the fever) before. So I wasn't even thinking ear infection. It took about 15 hours for the antibiotics to get into her system enough for us to see a change. She's happy now, hallelujah and not as clingy or crabby. I love amoxicillin. (I know Rachel you don't for other reasons). I really hope this is the last episode until at least next winter. (Crossing my fingers) This pic is classic Malia, she likes to bite her lip which makes the cutes face ever.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Well, I'm sure that after Randy had worked so hard at my house putting up the fence, that he was too exhasted to help you much at night with Malia :( What a hard week for you and it was supposed to be his vacation week! Sorry to impose on you-guys so much!

amie said...

Wow KT! Poor Morgan. Your kids are so good at eating their dinner. I am always so impressed when we are there....and embarrassed that my own kids won't even look at some food much less eat it.

Darling pictures BTW!

I know what you mean about amoxicillin! It can really be a lifesaver!!! I am glad that you were able to get Malia to the Dr. and get her little ears checked. Those ear infections can be so sneaky! Olivia has had 3 in the past 2 months.


So we saw kiterunner too. It was almost too much for me. So sad. I guess it ended good...if you can call it that.