Monday, May 5, 2008

Sickies Update


Just when you think things are going good, something happens to screw it up for ya. So Malia is on antibiotics, right? Saturday we were going through the motions, I was trying to prepare a Relief Society lesson for Sunday, Randy was at a class and the kids were trying to occupy themselves so I wouldn't hurt them, (I told them to play upstairs nice or they would be grounded to their beds for the rest of the day, it was a good day can ya tell?) Randy gets home from class and I was still in my PJ's as well as Malia and I asked him get her changed and dressed while I finally de-stinkied (that's a word right?) myself. While he was changing her, noticed her whole body covered in little red bumps, I immediately thought she's allergic to amoxicillin. She's had an ear infection in January and this didn't happen. So I called her ped's office and talked to a nurse. She assessed the situation and we both thought that I would try Benedryl and if it worked then we knew she was allergic to the medicine. So we gave it to her and nothing really happened, and during the night, she woke up in an uncontrollable fit. She kept arching her back and just being really rigid and nothing Randy or I did made it better. It was a great night. The next morning (Sunday), we noticed the bumps were gone but her skin was still splotchy. So I called the doctors office and after much waiting finally got to talk to a nurse and she said it sounded like an allergy and that she would call the doctor and get a new prescription faxed into the pharmacy, luckily the one we use all the time is opened on Sundays, in Utah no less. After church and my wonderful lesson (or something like that) Randy went and picked it up. It's a 5 day antibiotic (hallelujah, I don't understand why we even use 10 day ones anymore) and she seems to be doing better, still early though. So apparently she will not use amoxicillin ever again, which is fine with me. Ten days usually ends up to be like 12 because of missed doses.

2 comments:

The Ditto clan said...

I hope things get better quickly. Having sick kids is so hard! Makes you appreciate when they are healthy.

Amanda Davis said...

I feel your pain with Amoxicillin! I have 2 that can't take it and 2 that can. The only down side to the 5 day stuff (Zithromax) is that it costs an arm and a leg (litreally I spent $75 once!) Amoxicillin is like $3! (We have no perscription coverage!)