Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Random House Vest Pocket Handbook of Etiquette (1962)

After my Grandma passed away, I was able to go to her home and help organize and clean up a little (my Aunt, Uncle and cousin had already done a lot by the time I got there).  While rummaging through their bookshelf, I stumbled across this book on Etiquette from back in the 60's.  So I skimmed through it to see what the culture was like back then.  The first thing I turned to was on how to eat Corn on the Cob.  You might get a chuckle out of this.

*This is one of out most popular American foods, but doesn't mix with formal etiquette, and is just not served at a formal meal.  You simply pick it up with your fingers at each end and hold firmly.  A long ear may be broken in half if it's easier to manage that way.  Season only two or three rows at a time, and eat them, before you season the next rows.  You may mix yourself a little pile of butter seasoned with salt and pepper on the side of your plate if you wish, but never butter the whole ear at once as it makes the corn slippery to hold and gets butter on your fingers.  Small silver prongs are sometimes served to hold corn, but they are not necessary.

I laughed really hard while I read this.  This book is awesome.  It's intriguing to see how everyone viewed what was proper and what was not back then.  This book contains a lot of info on the do's and don'ts of weddings and  there are just really random advice in here like

*Breaking the receiving line-It's up to the bride's mother to break up the receiving line when she thinks all the guests have come.  She leads the way into the room where refreshments are being served-probably non too soon for the groom, whose face by then has undoubtedly become rigid from maintaining his polite smile.

I mean who says stuff like that?  What really gets me is how far things have turned from back then.  How everyone was soo worried how the man feels or if he's doing alright.  What about the stinking bride who's been standing, no doubt, in those heels and tight dress all day long.  The groom can hold his fake smile just as long as a bride has to endure uncomfortable attire. (Sorry for my soapbox)  I'm just grateful I live in a time where women actually have a say and people worry about them a little more than whether or not the 10 course dinner meal has been put on the table right at 5 when their husbands get home.  -k- enough of my ranting, but I just find this book so interesting.  I may (or may not) post excerpts from this in the future.  Depending on how funny I think things are.  I've only skimmed a few pages, but the pages I have read make me laugh.

1 comment:

Sister Tara Bowen said...

I fully support your soapbox. While it is nice to be considerate to our husbands, it is stupid to think our whole lives should be slavishly devoted to making them comfortable. Gag.