Sunday, March 30, 2008

Good things about Utah

So we headed to church early today because I heard through the grapevine that 3 babies were getting blessed and people in Utah usually have a ton a family in the area so there is always a huge circle and no seats. So we get there early (like 20 minutes) and the kids are behaving pretty well and about 10 minutes into waiting, Randy taps me and motions to the front of the church by the pulpit where the bishopric sits and says look. So I glanced up there and I see a familiar face, but not a face I've ever seen anywhere else but on TV 2 times a year. It was Elder L. Tom Perry (for you non-LDSers out there it is one of our apostles, just under the Prophet of our church). It took me a sec just cuz I've never really seen him out of my little box that sits in my living room. It was the coolest feeling in the world though. Apparently one of the babies that was getting blessed was some sort of relation to him and so he stood in on the blessing as well as the other babies that were blessed today. Could you imagine giving a baby blessing and having an apostle putting his hand on your shoulder, wow, it made me wish that Malia was a little younger, hee hee, just kidding. The spirit was really strong even though we ran out of sacrament water and it took twice as long as usual because of all the people who came. It was just awesome. Afterward Randy took the kids to primary while I cleaned up our coloring and toys mess. I saw Randy walking back in and Elder Perry was walking out and Randy was able to shake his hand. Oh and I don't know if you had heard how tall this man is, let me tell ya he is huge, but proportionately big. Probably 6'3-4" and just. . . BIG, he towered over everyone. He's a beautiful man and just had a glow about him.

9 comments:

amie said...

Wow. That is so neat! It would have been wonderful to be there. When I was younger, we had Elder Ballard come to our ward. He is the father of a man who was in our ward at the time. I wish I would have realized then how special it was to have him come to our ward.
Thanks for sharing! I am so jealous!

ellen said...

see there are good thing about living in utah:) so are you going to try to go to the solemn assembly this weekend? are you going to have a ladies night with the kids and other moms during priesthood session? they usually have a super sale and giveaway stuff at deseret book. we loved it...a little hard to manuever with the kiddos but fun and even nicer if you win something:)

Rachel Berry said...

That is VERY cool!

:)rachel

Sami said...

That is so cool! I told Steve we should have stayed in the ward! j/k. We met Elder Eyring on BYU campus one time. It was really neat!

I'm the Mommy, That's Why! said...

That was so cool. I was all set to bear my testimony since we have missed F&T meeting for 3 months straight, attending...what else...baby blessings. When Chris told me to look, I said forget it. It's bad enough I bawl in front of my ward, I'm not bawling in front of an apostle! He is so big though? No blending in with him. It was a neat day and I was glad we had skipped the baby blessing we were supposed to be at. :0)Michelle

Amanda Davis said...

Hey, We were on vacation all week and I just got your comment on my blog!!! I didn't know you lived in Utah now or I would have looked you up. We were right there!!! Sorry! So great to hear from you! I didn't even know you had #4! Crazy how things change. I am looking forward to keeping tabs on you this way. I think Blogs are great for keeping people in touch and we can really see what others are up to! Love ya! Amanda

Amanda Davis said...

I forgot to ask if you can tell me how to get a hold of Daniell. I haven't seen or heard anything about her since her mission.

The Cattersons said...

I'm so glad I found you too! Cade is 6 and in Kindergarten this year. Your kids are all so cute! Yes, it's been quite an ordeal getting my Christmas present, but it was well worth it :) It sounds like your weekend at church was an exciting one :)

Julie said...

How exciting and I can just see Randy beeming after shaking his hand...